Rosemary Infused Apple and Lemon Fennel Salad with Gorgonzola
Courtesy of Sur La Table
Time 1 hour
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons (15 ml) fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) honey
- 1 large fennel bulb, root ends trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) white pepper
- 4 cups (1000 ml) spring mix salad greens
- 2 ounces ( 55 g) gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Preheat SousVide Supreme to 185F/85C.
- In a bowl, mix the honey and lemon juice together, add apple slices and rosemary and toss to coat.
- Put apple slices into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum/seal.
- Put fennel slices, olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, salt and white pepper into a second pouch, evacuate as much air as possible (without drawing out the small amount of liquid in the pouch) and seal.
- Cook for 1 hour at 185F/85C.
- When cooking time has elapsed, quick chill the apples and fennel in their pouches fully submerged in an ice water bath for 15 to 30 minutes. Refrigerate for up to 48 hours if desired.
- To serve, put salad greens into a serving bowl. Empty apple and fennel bags, including all juices into bowl with greens, add gorgonzola, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.