Sous Vide Apples and Red Cabbage
Adapted from The 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle, Eades and Eades (Crown 2009)
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt (not sea salt)
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 2 packets Splenda or other non-caloric, heat-stable sweetener (equivalent sweetness to 4 teaspoons/20 g sugar)
- 1 small red cabbage, cored and tough outer leaves removed, chopped
- 1 tart apple (Granny Smith or similar) peeled, cored, and diced
- ¼ medium white onion, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) butter
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 183F/84C.
- In a large bowl, put the salt, spices, pepper, and sweetener and mix well.
- Add the cabbage, apple, onion, and lemon juice and toss to coat with the seasoning.
- Divide the mixture between two large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouches, add ½ tablespoon (7.5 g) butter to each pouch, and vacuum seal.
- Submerge in the water oven and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Open pouches, pour into a warmed serving bowl, and enjoy.