In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, try out this festive new sous vide recipe for corned beef and cabbage. This recipe is from our SousVide Supreme One Pot cookbook.
Time: 48 Hours
Serves: 6 to 8
- 4 pounds (1.81 kg) of corned beef
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into ½ inch (1.3 cm) strips
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into 1-inch (3 cm) strips
- 2 cups (470 ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) champagne vinegar
- Pre-heat the water oven to 134ºF/56ºC.
- Put the corned beef into a cooking pouch and vacuum/seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 48 hours
- About 45 minutes before you are ready to serve the meal, prepare the cabbage.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon pieces until they are crisp and the fat is rendered. Pour off all but 1-2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) of the bacon fat.
- Add the cabbage strips to the skillet, raise the heat to medium-high, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and the vinegar to the pan and continue to cook the cabbage in the liquid until tender.
- When the cabbage is almost tender, remove the corned beef from the water bath and the cooking pouch.
- To serve, slice the corned beef into 1/2″ – 3/4″ (1.3 cm – 2 cm) slices and serve atop the cabbage.