Champagne Zabaglione (Sabayon)
Courtesy of Pam McKinstry at SVKitchen.com
Makes about 1 cup/240 ml
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (120 g) castor or superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) champagne
For Zabaglione Parfait
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pint (115 g) fresh raspberries
- Fill and preheat SousVide Supreme to 165F/ 74C.
- In a small bowl, gradually whisk the sugar into the eggs yolks. Add the Champagne and continue to whisk lightly until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into a small (quart/0.9 liter) SousVide Supreme zip cooking pouch and, using the Archimedes principle, evacuate the air and zip the seal closed.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for exactly 20 minutes.
- If using right away, spoon the warm Zabaglione over fresh fruit and serve.
- To refrigerate for later use (or for the Zabaglione Parfait), quick chill the Zabaglione in the pouch submerged in an ice water bath (half ice/ half water) for 15 minutes to quickly drop the temperature.
To assemble the parfait:
- Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the Zabaglione.
- In a parfait glass, put a dollop of the Zabaglione in the bottom, top with a few berries, and repeat in layers to the top. The finished dessert can be held in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours.