- 1 pound ground chuck or sirloin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and drained
- 4 slices (1 ounce/28g each) cheddar cheese (or your favorite sliced cheese)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces/360 ml) HAK’s Barbecue Sauce, or your favorite brand
- 4 standard burger buns or 8 slider buns
- Fill and preheat the water oven to the desired degree of doneness (134F/56.5C for medium rare, 140F/60C for medium, 150F/65.5C for medium well.)
- Divide the meat into 4 portions for burgers (8 for sliders) and pat each portion into a firm patty shape.)
- Season each side of each patty with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the patties into a zip-closure bag and into the freezer for about an hour or two to firm them, so they will hold their shape when vacuum sealed.
- Put the patties into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal them.
- Submerge the pouch into the water oven and cook for 1 to 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, sweat the onions in the olive oil and let them caramelize to a golden brown, stirring as needed to prevent them from burning.
- Preheat an oiled grill or grill pan to high heat.
- When ready to serve, remove the burgers from the pouch, pat them dry with paper towels, and sear them 30 to 45 seconds on one side.
- Flip the burgers, top with cheese, if desired and sear another minute or so to melt the cheese. Toast the buns along side, if you desire.
- Spread barbecue sauce on the toasted buns, add the burger patties, top with bacon and onions and more barbecue sauce, and enjoy!
Share This Recipe with Friends!