Courtesy of Recipe Contest Winner, Catherine Perry
- 3 ounces (90 ml) olive oil
- 4 ounces (114 g) white sugar
- 2 eggs, separated (both yolks and whites will be used)
- 1 pinch crème of tartar (or 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) orange extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) coarsely ground fennel seed
- 5 ounces (142 g) self-rising flour
- To fill the SousVide Supreme to the proper level, first half fill an 8 to 9 inch (20 to 23 cm) round stainless mixing bowl with water and set it on the perforated bottom rack of the water oven, then fill the bath with enough water to come to within 1 inch (2.54 cm) of the top rim of the baking dish. Set the machine to 190F/87.5C.
- Remove the bowl, empty it, and dry it well; use a bit of olive oil to grease the bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the olive oil and sugar, then beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
- Add the orange extract, fennel seed, and rosemary.
- Sift the flour into the wet ingredients and mix with a large spoon until just incorporated; do not over mix. Some remaining small lumps will be fine.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until just foamy. Add the cream of tartar (or vinegar) and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Mix 1/3 of the whites into the batter to loosen it, then fold in the second 1/3—don’t mix, just gently fold. Then fold in the last 1/3 of the whites. Some streaks can remain.
- Pour the batter into the greased metal bowl, cover it with food-safe plastic wrap and a tea towel. Tie the twine tightly around the bowl, just below the rim. Fold the edges of the tea towel back over the top and knot to keep them out of the water.
- Set the bowl in the water oven (it may gently float) and cook for 1 and ½ hours.
- To remove from the water bath, grab the towel knot with chef’s tongs and lift it out. Allow the cake to cool and the edges begin to pull away from the bowl, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Run a thin spatula around the edge to loosen and turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
Share This Recipe with Friends!