Sous Vide Candied Sweet Potatoes
Courtesy of Chef Josh Horrigan, The Chef’s Academy
Servings: 4-6 depending on size of ramekin
- 4 cups (720 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (15 ml) ginger root, finely minced
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground clove
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (50 g) mini marshmallows
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) brown sugar, optional addition for topping
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 185F/85C.
- Put all ingredients, except the marshmallows and brown sugar, into a food-grade cooking pouch and gently massage the pouch to distribute the butter pieces and seasonings throughout.
- Vacuum seal the pouch and submerge in the water bath to cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the pouch from the water oven, open, and spoon the cooked potatoes into individual ramekins or a large serving dish.
- Top the warm potatoes with the marshmallows and sprinkle with a little brown sugar (if desired).
- Just before serving, use a kitchen torch (brulee torch) or put under the preheated broiler for a few minutes to toast the toppings until golden and bubbly. Serve.