Egg Nog Cheesecakes
Create individual cheesecakes in ramekins
For the crust
- 1/4 cup (57 g) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (57g) finely chopped pecans
- 1/4cup (57 g) light brown sugar (or Brown Sugar Splenda blend)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) melted butter
- Butter for greasing ramekins or custard cups
For the filling
- 12 ounces (342 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (95 g) sugar (or equivalent sugar substitute)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) brandy or bourbon (or substitute 1 teaspoon rum extract)
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) freshly grated nutmeg, plus some for garnish
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) egg nog (commercial or homemade)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- Fill and preheat the Sous Vide Supreme to 176F/80C. Elevate the bottom perforated rack on a non-rusting baking rack or baking rings.
- To set the water level, put the ramekins or custard cups onto the raised platform, fill them with water, then fill the water oven to within 1/2 inch of their rims.
- Empty the ramekins, dry them well, and generously grease them with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the crust and when thoroughly mixed, divide the mixture evenly among the ramekins and press to cover the bottom and about half-way up the sides.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl after each addition to ensure a creamy batter.
- Slowly beat in the vanilla, brandy, and spices, then the eggnog.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins and cover each one with plastic wrap, secured with a rubber band, to protect from drips of condensation.
- Set the ramekins carefully into the water oven, making sure the water level does not rise above their rims.
- Cook for 1-1/2 hours, then remove from the water oven, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours or over night.
- Garnish with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a grating of fresh nutmeg.