Recipe courtesy of Michael LaRoche, Head Butcher and Chef for Bill the Butcher
Makes 1 to 2 servings, depending on appetite, but make as many pouches as you like!
- 3/4 to 1 inch (2 to 2.5 cm) thick Western griller steaks, cut from bottom round
- Olive oil (about 1 tablespoon/15 ml per steak)
- Garlic, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 clove per steak)
- Fresh thyme, chopped (about 2 sprigs per steak)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill and preheat SousVide Supreme to 130F/54.5C. (Or to your preferred degree of doneness.)
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, and thyme.
- Season the steak(s) with salt and pepper, then put each into a cooking pouch; add the olive oil mixture and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven and cook for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours.
- Remove steak(s) from the pouch(es) and sear the surface to caramelize on grill, on a high heat cast iron pan, or with a cooking torch.
Suggested serving sides: parsleyed potatoes, flowering broccoli, mushroom demi glace.