Courtesy of MasterChef’s Whitney Miller
For the potatoes
- 1 cup (200 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced to 1/2-inch (1.3 cm)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) unsalted butter
- 3-1/2 tablespoons (52.5 g) light brown sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh orange juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons (22.5 ml) rum
For the salted pecans
- 1/2 cup (60 g) pecan halves
- 1/8 teaspoons olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- 1-1/2 quarts (1.4 liter) butter pecan ice cream
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 183F/84C.
- Put the potatoes into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch in a single layer and vacuum seal them.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 1-1/2 hours.
- Preheat the traditional oven to 350F/176C.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salted pecans.
- On a baking sheet, drizzle the pecans with the oil and salt and toss to coat.
- Bake for 4 minutes.
- Remove pecans from the oven and allow them to cool.
- When cool, transfer pecans to a cutting board and chop into fine pieces.
- When the potatoes have finished cooking, remove the pouch from the water bath, open the pouch, drain the liquid, and set potatoes aside until ready to use.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, melt butter in a medium non-stick skillet.
- Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over the butter and when the sugar begins to dissolve, add the sweet potatoes.
- Add the orange juice to the skillet and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, flipping sweet potatoes over to coat in sauce.
- Carefully add the rum and ignite it with a flame from the gas stove or with a stick lighter.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until flames subside and sauce slightly thickens.
For the assembly
- Place a 3-inch (7.5 cm) square or round cookie cutter or ring mold on the corner of a dessert plate.
- Immediately spoon the cooked sweet potatoes (without the sauce) into the mold and carefully remove the mold.
- On the opposite side of the plate, arrange a tablespoon (15 ml) of salted pecan pieces.
- Using two spoons, shape ice cream into a quenelle and place it atop pecan pieces.
- Spoon a pool of the sauce around the sweet potatoes.
- Serve immediately.