with White Chocolate Sauce and Hibiscus Flower
Courtesy of MasterChef winner Whitney Miller
- 1 cup (240 ml volume) French bread, cubed to 1/2 inch (1.25 cm)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) granulated sugar
- 2 ounces (60 ml) half-and-half
- 1 1/2 ounces (45 ml) heavy cream, divided
- 1 1/2 ounces (42 g) good quality white chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) pure vanilla extract
For the sauce
- 1 ounce (32 g) good quality white chocolate chips
- 2 ounces (60 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 Hibiscus flowers in syrup
- Fill and preheat the water oven to 170F/77C.
- Preheat the traditional oven to 350F/177C.
- Put the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the traditional oven for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole egg, egg yolk, and sugar.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine the half-and-half and 1 ounce (30 ml) of the heavy cream and heat until tendrils of steam begin to escape the surface.
- Whisk the egg mixture constantly as you slowly dribble in some of the hot cream to temper the eggs. Continue to whisk as you add the remainder of the cream.
- Melt the white chocolate with the remaining 1/2 ounce (15 ml) of the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir the melted white chocolate and vanilla into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the bread cubes and let the mixture sit for 2 minutes or until the bread has absorbed the liquid.
- Grease 2 (8 ounce/240 ml) Mason jars with cooking spray.
- Divide the bread pudding mixture evenly among the mason jars and screw on the lids.
- Carefully lower the Mason jars onto the perforated bottom rack of the water oven and cook for 2 hours.
For the sauce
- Melt the white chocolate with the heavy whipping cream in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
For the assembly
- When the pudding has cooked, carefully remove the Mason jars from the water bath and transfer to the upturned SousVide Supreme lid with tongs.
- Allow the jars to cool for 3 or 4 minutes, then using a tea towel, remove the jars’ lids.
- Gently run a butter knife around the edge of the bread pudding and transfer to a shallow dessert bowl.
- Spoon the white chocolate sauce around the bread pudding. Place an hibiscus flower on top of the bread pudding and then drizzle a teaspoon (5 ml) of the hibiscus syrup over the sauce.
- Serve immediately.