Makes about 1-1/2 cups (360ml) (to multiply, make separate batches of this recipe each in its own pouch)
- 2 tablespoons (60 ml) lard or, if you prefer, high-smoke point vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tomato, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 10 large roasted green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup (60 g) shredded queso asadero (white Mexican cheese)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt or to taste
- 3 or 4 dashes Cholula or Tabasco hot sauce or to taste (optional for those who like it hotter!)
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 160F/71C.
- On the stovetop, heat the lard or oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and tomato and saute until the onion has become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green chile and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool for a few minutes.
- Put the cheeses, milk, cooled pepper mixture and seasonings into a zip-closure cooking pouch. Press out most of the air with your hands and zip the seal. (Do not attempt to vacuum seal liquids using a suction vacuum sealer. It’s not critical to completely remove the air, because you are just melting, not cooking.)
- Submerge in the water oven for about 20 minutes to fully melt the cheese. Remove the pouch and massage the contents periodically to mix.
- Pour the queso into a warm serving bowl and enjoy with chips. (Keep any remaining dip hot and fresh in its zip pouch, submerged in the water bath.)