Courtesy of Vivian Peterson
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 pounds (.9 kg) baking potatoes peeled and cut crosswise into ¼-inch (1 cm) slices
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons/112 g) butter, divided use
- salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) crème fraiche
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) fresh cracked pepper
- Pinch fresh nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (80 g) grated Gruyere cheese
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 180F/82C.
- Season the potatoes lightly with salt and pepper and divide them between two large (gallon/3.8 l) cooking pouches, keeping them in an even layer.
- Add ½ stick (56 g) butter plus seasoning, in each pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouches in the water oven to cook for 2 ½ hours.
- Before serving, preheat the traditional oven to 400F/200C.
- In a medium bowl mix all remaining ingredients together and set aside.
- When the cooking time has elapsed, remove potatoes from the water bath, drain pouch of accumulated liquid, and transfer the potatoes to a baking dish in an even layer.
- Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes and bake for 10 minutes or until top is crispy.
Learn more about this Seattle Sous Vide Cooking class here.