Courtesy of Heather (shrinkingkitchen.com)
For the sirloin steak
- 12 ounces (342 g) top sirloin steak
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
For the salad
- 4 cups (150 g) arugula or other dark leafy green
- 1/2 cup (115 g) corn kernels (fresh or thawed from frozen)
- 1 cup (185 g) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to the temperature for your preferred doneness (120F/49C rare; 134F/56.5C medium rare; 140F/60C medium; 150F/65.5C medium well).
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic.
- Pat the steaks dry and then give them a rubdown with the garlic-olive oil mixture.
- Put the steaks into a cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water bath to cook for at least an hour. (No worries if it goes longer.)
- When ready to serve, preheat an oiled grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Remove the steaks from the pouch bath sear them on the grill for about 30 seconds or so on each side to get a nice, caramelized exterior.
- Slice thinly against the grain.
- Divide the arugula between four plates or large salad bowls.
- Distribute the corn, tomatoes, avocado and steak equally over the arugula.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and serve!
For the balsamic vinaigrette
- In a bowl, whisk all ingredients together- except the olive oil.
- Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to extract and marry the flavors.
- In a slow steady stream, whisk in the olive oil.