Courtesy of Staff Blogger, Sophie
For the Key Lime filling
- ½ cup (118ml ) key lime juice, from fresh key limes
- 14 oz (396g) can sweetened, condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
For the crust
- 1 teaspoon (5g) butter, to grease the tin
- 6 tablespoons ( 85g ) butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups (150g) graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (30g) granulated white sugar
For the topping
- ½ cup (118ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 extra key limes for decorating
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme at 180F/82C.
- Whisk all the filling ingredients together into a medium-sized bowl, until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch, and use the displacement method (Archimedes’ principle) to remove the air and zip the seal closed.
- Submerge the pouch in the water bath to cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the graham cracker crust.
- Grease an 8 inch (20 cm) round spring form pan/tin with a little butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter with spoon.
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the base of the prepared pan/tin, using the back of a spoon.
- Put the crust into the refrigerator to harden.
- After thirty minutes cooking, remove the filling from the water bath and massage the contents through the pouch to ‘stir’.
- Open the pouch and pour the key lime filling onto the hardened graham cracker crust.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for about thirty minutes then refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
To decorate the key lime pie:
- Beat the heavy whipping cream to soft peaks.
- Put the whipped cream into a piping bag with a medium tip/nozzle.
- Pipe small circles of cream around the edge of the pie and one large circle in the center.
- Arrange thin slices of key lime on top of the pie.