Asparagus Citronette with Crispy Pancetta
Courtesy of Staff Blogger, Madeline Fiore
For the citronette
- 1 large orange, zest and juice
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus a glug for drizzling
For the asparagus
- 2 pounds (907g) asparagus, medium thickness stalks
- 8 ounces (227g) pancetta, thinly sliced
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 190F/87C.
- In a small bowl mix together the orange juice, zest, and shallots and let macerate for 15 minutes.
- Stir the dijon mustard into the orange shallot mixture and slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Warm a cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook the pancetta until crisp and caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes. Put on paper towels to blot off grease and set aside until ready to serve.
- Peel the asparagus and trim the woody ends.
- Put the trimmed asparagus into cooking pouches in a single layer and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and vacuum seal.
- Submerge in the water bath and cook for 4 minutes.
- Pull the bag out of the water bath, open the pouch immediately and put into a serving dish.
- Pour the citronette over the asparagus and toss. Crumble the cooked pancetta over the top and serve immediately.
No water oven? We can fix that!