Serves 4 to 6
- 1 ½ pounds (650 g) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons (28 g/30 ml) butter or light olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) garlic powder, optional for Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) onion powder, optional for Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) Herbes de Provence, optional for Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cream or vegetable broth, if needed
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 180-185F/82-85C.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the seasonings and put them evenly distributed into cooking pouch(es) in a single layer. Add the butter (or oil) and vacuum seal the pouch(es).
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven and cook for 1-1/2 hours, until quite tender.
- Open the pouch(es) and drain the accumulated liquid away; pour the potatoes into a food processor work bowl or a blender, and puree until smooth, adding the cream or vegetable broth a bit at a time as needed to get a thick mashed potato consistency. Taste for seasonings and add more if desired.
- If not serving or using right away, put the mashed potatoes into a large zip closure cooking pouch, remove as much air as possible and quick chill in the pouch, submerged in an ice water bath for at least 20 minutes. (Reheat, in the pouch to serving temperature along with other foods you may be cooking or reheating.)
- Transfer the warm potatoes to a serving bowl and enjoy.
Share This Recipe with Friends!