Makes 1-1/4 quarts (1.2 liters)
- 4 cups (946 ml) simple syrup*
- 1 cup (237 ml) light rum
- 5 limes, for zest only
- 4 drops almond extract
- 8 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- 2 drops orange flower water
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 135F/57C.
- Put all ingredients into a large (1 gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch. Use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove as much air as possible from the pouch and zip it closed.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 2 hours. The contents must be completely submerged to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the pouch and submerge it in an ice water bath (half ice, half water) for 20 to 30 minutes to quick-chill the contents.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a clean, stoppered bottle.
- Store the cordial, tightly capped, in the refrigerator for up to six weeks.
*Simple Syrup Makes about 1 quart (0.9 liter)
- 5 cups superfine (castor) sugar
- 5 cups water
- On the stovetop, over medium heat, in a large pot, mix the sugar and water and stir well.
- Cook, stirring, until the sugar has completely dissolved into the water.
- If not using right away, let cool for a few minutes, then pour into clean, stoppered bottles and store, refrigerated, for up to six weeks.