Makes about 48 ounces (860 ml)
For the vodka
- 15 lychee nuts, canned
- 1 bottle (750 ml) vodka
For the cordial
- 3 cups (710 ml) simple syrup
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 153F/57C.
- Put the lychees and vodka into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch. Use the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove as much air as possible from the pouch and zip it closed.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the bag and submerge it in an ice water bath (half ice, half water) for 20 to 30 minutes to quick-chill the contents.
- Strain the infused vodka through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl and discard the solids or save for some other use.
- Put the infusion into a stoppered bottle and refrigerate or freeze. Use in specialty cocktails, such as Cosmopolitans or martinis.
To make the cordial
- Mix 1 part infused vodka with 3 parts simple syrup.
- Serve as an after dinner cordial or use the cordial mixture in specialty cocktails that call for a sweet touch.