Serves 2 (multiplies easily, but keep to one half-rack per pouch)
- 1 rack baby back ribs
- Dry Rub for Ribs* (recipe follows)
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 146F/64C.
- Put a half rack of baby back ribs into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch, with valve or without. (Do as many as 4 half racks at a time in the SousVide Supreme 11-liter.)
- Liberally sprinkle the dry rub over both sides of the ribs.
- Add a few dashes of Liquid Smoke (or other hickory smoke flavoring) to the pouch.
- Vacuum seal the pouch(es) and submerge them in the water oven to cook for 24 hours.
- Remove ribs from the pouch(es), brush with your favorite barbecue sauce, and sear the surface on the grill, under the broiler, or with a cooking torch to impart savory caramelization.
- Serve with your favorite sides and extra sauce.
Dry Rub for Ribs
Makes about ½ cup (240 ml) of rub
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) paprika, hot or mild
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) brown sugar (or sweetener you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coarse salt
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) hickory smoke powder (available online)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon (0.6 ml) cayenne pepper, or to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together in a zip-closure storage bag to blend well.
2. Use what you need and store the remainder in the zip-closure bag in a cool dry place.