Serves 2 (multiplies easily, but keep to one half-rack per pouch)
- 1 rack baby back ribs
- Dry Rub for Ribs* (recipe follows)
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 134F/57C.
- Put a half rack of baby back ribs into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch, with valve or without. (Do as many as 4 half racks at a time in the SousVide Supreme.)
- Pour ½ cup (240 ml) of your favorite barbecue sauce right into the pouch(es) and massage the ribs through the pouch to coat with the sauce.
- Add a few dashes of Liquid Smoke (or other hickory smoke flavoring) to the pouch.
- Use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air from zip pouches without valves or the Zip Sealer to remove air from zip pouches with valves and zip the seal closed.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven to cook for 24 to 48 hours.
- Remove from the pouch(es), brush with your favorite barbecue sauce, and sear the surface on the grill, under the broiler, or with a cooking torch to impart savory caramelization.
- Serve with your favorite sides and extra sauce.
Dry Rub for Ribs
Makes about ½ cup (240 ml) of rub
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) paprika, hot or mild
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) brown sugar (or sweetener you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coarse salt
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) hickory smoke powder (available online)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon (0.6 ml) cayenne pepper, or to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together in a zip-closure storage bag to blend well.
2. Use what you need and store the remainder in the zip-closure bag in a cool dry place.