Basic Baby Back Ribs
Serves 2 (multiplies easily, but keep to one half-rack per pouch) You should be able to cook 2 racks (4 half racks) easily at one time in an 11 liter water oven.
- 1 rack baby back ribs
- Dry Rub for Ribs* (recipe follows)
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 134F/57C.
- Liberally sprinkle dry rub over all sides of the ribs.
- Vacuum seal each 1/2 rack in a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven to cook for 24 to 48 hours.
- Remove from the pouch(es), brush with your favorite barbecue sauce, and sear the surface on the grill, under the broiler, or with a cooking torch to impart savory caramelization.
- Serve with your favorite sides and extra sauce.
To prepare wet-sauced ribs instead:
- Pour ½ cup (240 ml) of your favorite barbecue sauce right into the pouch(es) and massage the ribs through the pouch to coat with the sauce.
- Add a few dashes of Liquid Smoke (or other hickory smoke flavoring) to the pouch.
- Use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air from zip pouches without valves or the Zip Sealer to remove air from zip pouches with valves and zip the seal closed. Cook as above.
Dry Rub for Ribs
Makes about ½ cup (240 ml) of rub
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) paprika, hot or mild
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) brown sugar (or sweetener you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coarse salt
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) hickory smoke powder (available online)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon (0.6 ml) cayenne pepper, or to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together in a zip-closure storage bag to blend well.
2. Use what you need and store the remainder in the zip-closure bag in a cool dry place.