Pasteurized Eggs Sous Vide
Some recipes (mayonnaise, meringue, Caesar dressing, egg nog) call for using raw eggs. You can purchase (in the US anyway) pasteurized eggs in many/most chain grocery stores, but at a premium. However, with your water oven, you can pasteurize your own effortlessly and inexpensively. Here’s how:
Pasteurized Whole Eggs
- 1 to 2 dozen large eggs
- Fill and preheat the Sous Vide Supreme water oven to 135F/57C.
- Mark the eggs to be pasteurized with a P or some other moniker with a water proof marker.
- Gently drop the eggs, in their shells (not vacuum sealed), into the water oven to cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the eggs, quick chill them submerged in ice water for 20 to 30 minutes and refrigerate.
- Use in recipes calling for raw eggs