Salmon with Caramelized Lemon Chili Maple Syrup Glaze
- 4 (2 ½ ounce/60g portions) fresh salmon fillet, scaled
- 1 ½ tablespoons (25g) spiced sea salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons (20g) castor sugar
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) leeks chopped
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (50ml) double cream
- 4 tablespoons (10g) freshly chopped curly parsley
- 1 small red chili
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- 4 ounces (150g) maple syrup
- 2 lemons, halved and caramelized, for garnish if desired
- Combine the sea salt and sugar and generously season the fish fillets; cover and refrigerate to marinate for 2 hours
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 115F/46C
- Lightly rinse the fillets and pat dry; put them into cooking pouches and vacuum seal with gentle suction.
- Submerge in the water bath to cook for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on the stovetop, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the washed chopped leeks, add a pinch of salt and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the leeks, immediately refresh in cold running water, drain well again, and squeeze the water out so the leeks are very dry and bright green. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, boil the cream until it thickens slightly, add the leeks and warm through, season with salt and cracked black pepper, keep warm
- In a small saucepan heat the maple syrup until it caramelizes slightly, remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Cut the chili in half lengthwise and remove the stem and seeds; chop the flesh very finely and add it and the lemon zest to the maple syrup. Stir in the chopped parsley and some cracked black pepper.
- Remove the salmon from the water bath and take it from the pouch; pat dry.
- Brush the surface with the caramelized maple syrup.
- Put the creamed leeks onto the serving plate and place the salmon fillet on the leeks.
- Finish with a drizzle of the caramelized lemon-chili-maple syrup.
Note: A nice touch is to serve with a caramelized lemon half, to do this cut a lemon in half and place cut side down in a non-stick frying pan and cook until the natural sugars in the lemon turn the surface a nice golden brown.