- 5 to 7 pounds (2 to 3 kg) beef brisket, trimmed
- 1/2 cup Meat Rub (recipe follows)
- hickory chips, pellets, or cakes for smoking, using your smoking method of choice
For the Meat Rub
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) paprika
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 134F/56.5 C.
- Determine which smoking method you will use. You will cold smoke before cooking and hot smoke or use the Smoking Gun after cooking. When ready to smoke, set up your device as per manufacturer’s instructions with hickory chips, pellets, or cakes for these times:.
- Apply cold smoke for 2 to 3 hours at 75 to 80F/26C before cooking.
- Apply hot smoke for 20 minutes (away from heat) after cooking.
- Apply smoke from a Smoking Gun for 5 minutes after cooking.
- Cover the brisket generously all over with the Meat Rub.
- If you are cold smoking, put the brisket into the cold smoker (or closed grill with cold smoking pellets) and smoke for the allotted time and then put into a cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- For hot smoking (in a hot smoker or stove top smoker) or Smoking Gun use, immediately put the seasoned brisket into the cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 48 hours (2 days).
- If hot smoking, once cooked, remove the brisket from the water bath and pouch and apply hot smoke for 20 minutes before finishing.
- If using the Smoking Gun, remove the brisket from the water bath and pouch and apply 30 seconds of smoke, as directed, into a closed container. Leave the meat to absorb the smoke for 5 minutes and then finish.
- To finish, heat a skillet, grill, or broiler to high heat and sear the surface quickly (30 to 45 seconds a side) to impart a caramelized, crisp exterior.
- Slice and serve.
Share This Recipe with Friends!