Super Crispy Chicken Thighs – Nom Nom Paleo
Courtesy of Michelle Tam (nomnompaleo.com)
Serves 3 to 6*
- 6 chicken thighs, skin-on, boneless (or bone-in, deboned)
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder and dried thyme to season (or your favorite herbs/seasonings)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, ghee, or duck fat
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lard
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 150F/65C.
- Flatten the thighs and pat them dry; sprinkle the flesh side with salt and pepper and some garlic powder and dried thyme (or your preferred seasoning blend for chicken.)
- Add a pat of butter to each thigh, put them into a cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge in the water oven to cook for 1½ hours
- In a skillet on the stovetop, heat the lard over medium heat (not high) and when it starts smoking, add the thighs, skin side down and leave undisturbed for 3 to 5 minutes until the skin is crisp. (Work in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan.)
- Remove the thighs to a wire rack to drain and sprinkle some fleur de sel over the crisped skin.
- Serve the chicken thighs with your veggie sides of choice.
* Tip: It’s easy to cook multiple pouches of thighs at one time, quick chill those you aren’t going to use right away, label with date and contents, and freeze for use in coming days or weeks. You can sous vide ahead of time and just crisp up the skin (steps 6 and 7) when it’s time to nosh.