Courtesy of Chef Sam Hussain (caferickshaw.com) Serving 4
- 2 1/3 cups (450 g) sugar (adjust to your taste)
- 2 tablespoons (21 g) almonds
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cardamom seeds or powder
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) carrots
- 36 ounces (1 liter) milk
- 2 tablespoons (21 g) pistachios
- 2 tablespoons (19 g) raisins
- 2 tablespoons (29 g) ghee (clarified butter)
- Additional raisins and nuts for garnishing
- Fill and preheat the water oven to 183F/84C.
- Wash and grate the carrots.
- Soak the nuts and raisins in water for 30 minutes.
- In a large pouch put the shredded carrots, raisins, pistachios, almond, and ghee and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 2 hours
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, over very low heat, warm the milk, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add the sugar, mix well, and cook until the sugar has dissolved and all the milk has been absorbed into the sugar.
- Empty the contents of the cooked carrot pouch into the absorbed milk in the saucepan and mix well.
- Add cardamom and stir for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with raisins, almonds, and pistachios.
- Serve hot, room temperature, or cold.
Tip: You can use powder milk or evaporated milk as a quick fix, instead of absorbing fresh milk; I prefer to use fresh milk for the maximum flavour.