Courtesy of SousVide Supreme Culinary Professional, Sophie
Serves 2 -4
- 3 cups (350 g) diced rutabagas/Swedes or turnips
- 1 tablespoon (30 ml) molasses or treacle
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup (60ml) cream
- ¼ cup (15g) breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoons (15ml) butter
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 185 F/85 C.
- Put the diced rutabagas, treacle, ginger and nutmeg into a large food-grade cooking pouch and vacuum seal the pouch.
- Submerge the pouch in the water bath to cook for 1 hour. (You can do this up to a couple of days in advance. If delaying finishing, quick chill the pouch, submerged in ice water, for 20 minutes and refrigerate.)
- Position a baking rack into the water oven and arrange ramekins/ small serving dishes in the water oven, fill them with water, and add enough water to the bath so it reaches half way up the ramekins.
- Remove and dry the ramekins/serving dishes and butter them inside.
- Set the water oven to 185F/85 C.
- Divide the rutabaga mixture among the ramekins/serving dishes. Cover or tent foil over the ramekins to avoid condensation.
- Carefully put the ramekins onto the baking rack in the water bath and let cook for one hour. (This step, too, can be done in advance; let he dish cool and refrigerate for up to a day before proceeding.)
- When ready to finish, scatter the remaining breadcrumbs on top of the dishes and dot with the butter.
- Heat the broiler to high heat and brown the tops of the lanttulaatikko (about 5 minutes) to a golden color.
- Serve as a festive side dish at Christmas.
Share This Recipe with Friends!