Courtesy of Mason Brangwin, The Old Sage, Seattle, WA
- 2 cups (350 g) roughly chopped dried figs
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 2 cups (400 g) Demerara sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6 pods star anise
- 15 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 144F/ 62C.
- Combine all ingredients in a zip-closure cooking pouch and use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal. (Or seal in a chamber vacuum if you have one.)
- Submerge in the water oven and cook at least 3 hours, until sugar dissolves (the longer the better.)
- Strain into a clean stoppered bottle and chill. Use the syrup in the Spiced Fig Old Fashioned cocktail, mix it into hot tea for a holiday touch, or even pour over ice cream for a festive treat!
Share This Recipe with Friends!