Seared Duck Breast – Chef Koj
… with Red Wine Soya Reduction and Gai Lan
Courtesy of Chef Andrew Kojima (citation)
- 4 (8 ounce/250 g each) duck breasts
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) red wine
- 2 stalks gai lan (Chinese broccoli)
For the duck marinade
- 2 pods star anise
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 coins fresh ginger, minced
- 2 spring (green) onions
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 4 pieces tong kwai herb (available at Asian markets and online)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
For the soya reduction base
- 5 ounces (150 ml) light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) oyster sauce
- 5 ounces (150 ml) chicken stock
- ¼ large onion, peeled, sliced, and sautéed
- ¼ large apple, peeled, sliced, and sautéed
- ½ roasted chicken (for only bone and carcass) (for stock)
For the ginger water
- 3 ¼ ounces (100 gm) sliced ginger
- 3 ¼ ounces (100 ml) water
- 3 ¼ ounces (100 ml) Chinese rice wine
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- Put the duck breasts and all marinade ingredients into a cooking pouch and vacuum seal. Refrigerate overnight.
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to ??F/56C.
- Submerge the pouch of duck in the water bath to cook for 50minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ginger water:
- In a blender, process the ginger and water together.
- Using the flat side of a large spoon or ladle, push the paste through a sieve into a saucepan, squeezing as much liquid through as you can.
- Add in the Chinese rice wine to the sieved ginger liquid.
- On the stovetop, add the sugar and salt and bring the mixture to a boil.
- And prepare soy reduction base by simmering the Soy Reduction ingredients in a pot and simmer covered for 1 hour. Ensure volume does not reduce below 2/3 of original amount. Pass through a sieve and set aside.In a pot of boiling water on the stovetop, blanch the gai lan for 60 seconds and remove.
9. Sauté the shallots in a hot pan until fragrant. Add the red wine and 100ml of the soy reduction base and reduce to 2/3 of the original volume.
10. In a pan, sear the duck breast on both sides until brown.
11. Place the Gai Lan, Duck on a plate and add the desired amount of soy reduction.
Like this? Why not share it: