Raw Oysters – Sous Vide Firmed
Courtesy of Chef Steps
- 12 oysters in their shells, very fresh (unopened and smelling of the sea)
- Champagne Mignonette Sauce, below (or your favorite) for serving
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 140F/60C.
- Gently drop the oysters into the water oven and allow them to remain for 7 1/2 minutes for large ones and 5 1/2 minutes for small or medium ones. (Note: This process does not cook the oysters. They will still be raw. It simply firms them–which can better please some palates–and makes them easier to shuck.)
- Immediately transfer the oysters to an ice water bath (half ice, half water) to quick chill.
- Keep cold until serving. Serve on ice with Champagne Mignonette Sauce (recipe follows) or your favorite sauce.
Champagne Mignonette Sauce
Makes enough for 12 oysters
- ¼ cup (60 ml) champagne vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) minced shallot
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients
- Let sit for several minutes and drizzle over the oysters.