Adapted recipe courtesy of Chef Ollie Moore, GreatBritishChefs.com
For the leg meat
- 8 duck legs
- 8 tablespoons (120 ml) duck fat
- high smoke point oil, for deep frying
For the eggs
- 6 duck eggs
For the spring onion puree
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) pomace oil
- Spanish onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 10 ounces (300 ml) double cream
- 6 bunches spring (green) onions, washed and thinly sliced
For the cucumber spaghetti
- 1 cucumber
- 2 teaspoons (10g) dark soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10g) balsamic vinegar, good quality
- 1 teaspoon (5g) fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely grated
- sesame oil, to taste
For the duck dressing
- 8 ounces (240 g) ketchup
- ¼ cup (60 g) honey
- 2 oranges, for juice only
- ¼ cup (60 g) dark soya sauce
- ¼ cup (60 g) oyster sauce
- sesame oil to taste
For the pancake crumb
- 3 sheets feuille de brick pastry, torn in small pieces
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 180F/82C.
- Put the duck legs into large cooking pouches (4 to a pouch), add the duck fat, and vacuum seal.
- Submerge in the water oven to cook for 12 hours.
- Remove the legs from the pouches and drain on paper towels/kitchen paper to remove any excess fat.
- Pick the meat from the bone while still slightly warm, removing any sinew or bone. Shred the meat into thin strips, cover and set aside until needed.
- Reduce the water oven temperature to 147F/64C, adding ice or cool water to facilitate the drop. Once at temperature, gently drop the duck eggs, in their shells, into the water oven to cook for 70 minutes. (If you need to hold the eggs longer than 70 minutes before serving, drop the water temperature after 70 minutes to 143F/62C and they can hold for hours.)
- Meanwhile, prepare the onion puree:
- Pour a thin film of pomace oil into a saucepan over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Add the Spanish onions and a pinch of salt and sweat for 4 to 5 minutes until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the cream; increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the spring onions and continue to cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer puree to a bowl over ice and stir to chill (to maintain the light green color). Refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare the cucumber spaghetti:
- Peel and deseed the cucumber and slice into very thin strips and julienne, to make long spaghetti-like strands (or use the julienne-blade of a peeler, if you have one.) Set aside to dress just prior to serving.
- In a bowl prepare the dressing, by combining all remaining cucumber spaghetti ingredient in a bowl. Set aside for serving.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the duck dressing and set aside until ready to serve.
- When ready to finish, heat the oil in a deep fryer to F/180C and when hot, lower the shredded duck leg meat, in small batches, and fry until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels/kitchen paper.
- Fry the pastry pieces in the same oil to make the pancake crumb. Remove fro the oil as soon as it stops bubbling, then drain, and lightly season with salt.
- To serve:
- Warm the spring onion puree and spoon it onto the plates.
- Dress the warm crispy duck meat with some of the dressing and center a mount on each plate.
- Carefully crack open a duck egg on top of the meat.
- Add the dressed cucumber spaghetti, pancake crumb, and give a final drizzle of duck dressing before serving