- 2 to 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced in ½ inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 head garlic
- 4 ounces (113 g) butter, softened
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream, warmed
- Salt and pepper to taste½ cup (25 g) finely snipped fresh chives, for color, if desired.
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 183F/84C.
- Put the potatoes into a cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for at least an hour (and up to 4 hours will not affect texture.)
- Meanwhile, roast the garlic:
- Cut the top off of the garlic head exposing the cloves.
- Sprinkle the head with olive oil and salt and wrap it in a piece of aluminum foil.
- Seal the packet and roast the garlic in a 350F/175C oven for 45 minutes. When done let the garlic cool enough to handle and then squeeze all of the garlic out of the skins. The garlic should be paste-like.
- In a blender, process the roasted garlic cloves with the butter. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, transfer the potatoes to a bowl; add the garlic butter and all remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher to your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to your preference and top with the chives, if desired.
TIP: You can prepare the potatoes up to a day or two in advance of a meal and then quick chill submerged in ice water for 15 minutes and hold in the refrigerator until ready to proceed. When you put the meat/protein into the water oven return the potatoes to re-warm as the steaks cook, then mash