Makes about 3 cups (720 ml)
- 10 to 12 limes, well washed
- 2 cups (380 g) Castor (superfine) sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (415 ml) water
- 2 ounces (60 ml) vodka
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 135F/57C.
- Strip the zest from the limes (and reserve the peeled limes for juicing.)
- Put the zest, sugar, and water into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch and use the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 2 hours. A few times during the cooking process, lift the pouch and gently shake the contents to help dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the pouch from the water bath and quick chill, submerged in ice water (half ice/half water) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve to remove the solids.
- Add the vodka to the infusion to extend the shelf life and decant the finished product into a clean bottle with a lid or stopper. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks to use in cocktails, such as our Caipirinha (recipe below), or add to iced tea or sparkling water for a festive non-alcoholic libation
Share This Recipe with Friends!