Makes 8 ounces (240 ml)
Choose vibrant red stalks of rhubarb for best color!
- 1/2 pound (228 g) rhubarb, cleaned, trimmed of leaves and cut into ¼” (0.6 cm) pieces
- 1 cup (7 oz/ 200 g) organic sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/ 240 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) rose water
- Fill and preheat the water oven to 135F/57C.
- Put the rhubarb into a large (1 gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch.
- In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and water over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the rhubarb, use the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove as much air as possible from the pouch, and zip closed.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 2 hours. The contents must be completely submerged to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the pouch and submerge it in an ice water bath (half ice, half water) for 20 minutes to quick-chill the contents.
- Strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bottle and stir in the rose water. Keep the rhubarb for the Sous Vide Rhubarb Compote.
- Store the syrup in an air-tight glass bottle, in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
Use the syrup to make delicious Rhubarb Rose Bellinis.