Sous Vide Strawberry Daiquiri
For the puree (Makes 750 ml)
- 1 ‘fifth’ (750 ml) clear rum
- 4 lemons
- 4 limes
- 1 pint (300 g) fresh, ripe strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- Simple Syrup, chilled
For the cocktail (Makes 1 cocktail)
- 2 ounces infused rum
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce strawberry puree
- Whole fresh strawberry, for garnish
For the puree
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 135F/57C.
- With a sharp knife, peel the zest from the lemons and limes and carefully scrape away any white pith.
- Juice the lemons and limes.
- Put the rum, lemon and lime juice and zest, and strawberries into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch. Use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouch to cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the pouch and quick chill for 15 minutes, submerged in an ice water bath (half ice/half water).
- Strain out the solids, reserving the strawberries. Pour the infused rum into a clean bottle with a stopper or screwtop (the one it came out of works fine.) Chill very well.
- Puree the cooked strawberries and chill.
For the cocktail
- In a cocktail shaker, with ice cubes, put all ingredients and shake well.
- Pour into a chilled, stemmed cocktail glass.
- Halve the strawberry almost through from tip to stem and position on the edge of the glass.