Basic Herb Scented Turkey Breast
Serves 4 (doubles easily – cook in multiple pouches)
- 1 turkey breast half, deboned, skin on
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) kosher salt
- 10 black peppercorns
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 leaves fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter, divided use
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- In a large (gallon) zip closure bag, mix the water and kosher salt until dissolved. Add the peppercorns and turkey breast, zip the seal, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to brine.
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 146F/62.5C.
- Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse, and pat dry. Discard brine.
- Season the turkey breast on all sides with black pepper.
- Put the breast into a cooking pouch and add the garlic, sage leaves, and 2 tablespoons (28 g) of the butter.
- Vacuum seal the pouch and submerge it in the water oven to cook for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the turkey breast from the pouch and pat dry with paper towels. (Reserve the pouch juices to make a sauce or gravy, if desired.)
- To finish:
- Heat the oven broiler to high heat.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and brush the surface of the turkey with it.
- Sear the turkey breast under the broiler for about 5 minutes until the skin is brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and keep warm under a tent of foil.
- Slice and serve with Cranberry Sauce.