The Vintage Pink Lady
Courtesy of Michael Cadden, Tavern Law, Seattle, WA
(A modernist’s take on a speakeasy vintage classic.)
Makes 1 cocktail
- 1 ½ ounces (45 ml) gin
- ¾ ounce (22 ml) sous vide infused Pear Shrub
- ½ ounce (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ ounce (7.5 ml) Demerara simple syrup*
- 2 dashes bitters (Old Fashioned Barrel Aged Fee Brothers Bitters preferred)
- 1 egg white
- Ice cubes as needed
- Fresh cranberry juice for decoration
- Combine all ingredients, except the ice cubes and cranberry juice, in a mixing tin set (cocktail shaker). Add the spring of a Hawthorn strainer, if you have it, as it helps whip the egg whites and dry shake for 1 minute.
- Open, take out the spring, add the ice, and shake for another minute.
- Double strain through a Hawthorn strainer and a fine mesh strainer into a flip glass or large coupe-style cocktail glass.
- Let sit for 30 seconds before adding drops of fresh cranberry juice to decorate; get creative with the swirling.
*Demerara Simple Syrup can be made easily following the standard SousVide Simple Syrup recipe, but substituting Demerara sugar for the castor sugar in the recipe.