Courtesy of Mason Brangwin, The Old Sage, Seattle, WA
Makes 1 cocktail
- 2 ounces (60 ml) whiskey
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Spiced Fig Syrup (see below)
- 3 dashes angostura bitters
- 3 dashes Reagan’s Orange Bitters
- Ice cubes as needed
- Orange peel for decoration
- In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients, finishing with adding the ice.
- Stir until chilled.
- Strain into glass.
- Add fresh ice.
- Garnish with orange peel.
Spiced Fig Syrup
- 2 cups (350 g) roughly chopped dried figs
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 2 cups (400 g) Demerara sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6 pods star anise
- 15 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 144F/ 62C.
- Combine all ingredients in a zip-closure cooking pouchand use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal. (Or seal in a chamber vacuum if you have one.)
- Submerge in the water oven and cook at least 3 hours, until sugar dissolves (the longer the better.)
- Strain into a clean stoppered bottle and chill. Use the syrup in the Spiced Fig Old Fashioned cocktail, mix it into hot tea for a holiday touch, or even pour over ice cream for a festive treat!