Madeline’s Sous Vide Short Ribs
- 12 short ribs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 thyme sprigs
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 cup (240 ml) dry red wine
- 1 recipe To Die For Potatoes a la Sous Vide or Boursin Mashed Potatoes for serving
Optional Garnishes: arugula tossed with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt and sautéed mushrooms
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 156F/69C.
- Season the short ribs with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and put into cooking pouches in a single layer with thyme sprigs and garlic cloves and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouches in the water oven and cook for 48 hours.
- Once cooking is complete, remove at least 4 of the short ribs from the cooking pouches and set aside. Pour the cooking liquid into a degreaser and discard the fat.
- In a small saucepan on the stovetop over medium high heat, combine the short rib cooking juices with the red wine and reduce the liquid by half.
- If desired, sear the ribs for a minute in a hot skillet to caramelize the surface.
- Serve over To Die For Potatoes a la Sous Vide or Boursin Mashed Potatoes.
- Drizzle with the wine reduction and garnish with your favorite greens or sautéed mushrooms.
To make additional meals:
- Separate the remaining meat and cooking liquid.
- Flake the remaining meat from the bones, pulling apart with two forks; cool and keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for Madeline’s Short Rib Tacos and Madeline’s Short Rib Stew.
- Reserve the short rib cooking juice for Madeline’s Short Rib Stew. If planning ahead, put into a degreaser and discard the fat, then store the cooking juice in an airtight container in the refrigerator.